The year that was

Aside from doing spring cleaning during the holiday, I also used the time to think and reflect. I chanced upon this article about the important questions to ask yourself as 2016 draws to a close and I have chosen a few to answer as a way of reflecting how my 2016 goes.

What made you feel the most alive this year?

I felt most alive when people say that I deserved where I am right now and at some point I was their inspiration.  Me as an inspiration – Hahahaha. I didn’t think that I will be after all the mistakes and boo boos I did this year. I remember when I confessed to some of my trusted friends that I am having difficulty with my new job, I would always get the same response which is “You can do it. We’ve seen how you did it before. You’re so good at everything you do
Wow, really! Are you sure that’s me. I felt alive that people believe so much in me especially during the times I did not believe in myself. These people chose to see the goodness in me and don’t see me as a failure and with that I commit to doing more of what I can in 2017 so that I get to inspire more people

What is the biggest risk you took in 2016?


The biggest risk I took was when I left my job for 11 years which has been my comfort zone and moved to a job that is not really in line what I have been doing for the past years. I went away from the comfort of the BPO industry and moved in to the fast paced world of Telco. For me, moving job does not only mean transferring to a new company, it also represents facing my fears and going out of my comfort zone.

What made you feel the most inspired this year?

It was when I do things that make my heart and soul happy. We deserve time to engage in the things that are on heart lists, not only the things on our to-do lists.  This is the reason why I also make sure to schedule to do things like – afternoon walk, art journaling, laughing out loud, reading book in a cafĂ©, and organizing my things because after I fill my heart with love I get to be inspired to pursue the dreams that God has planted in my heart.

Which days from 2016 will you never forget?
  • April 23, the day I turned 30 and proud. I celebrated my birthday exactly the way I wanted it – quiet, memorable with my loved ones and of course a lot of food.
  • May 10, when I submitted my resignation letter and advised my Immediate Supervisor that I will use my terminal leave and my last day of work will be on the end of the month.
  • June 20, my first day at my new work

What are you most grateful for as this year draws to a close?

There are actually a lot of things that I am grateful for this year, but the first on the list is the gift of good health. My mom had to undergo a medical procedure before the end of this year and it leaves me and sister physically and emotionally exhausted, but we are so glad when we learned that we do not have to worry and that the results are all good.
I am grateful to the people who were with me in this journey of rediscovering my life and passion – Thanks to my Ate for always cheering me up, to the friends whom I can call or viber whenever I have mind boggling questions that needs to be answered immediately and whenever I need to share my “walang katapusang hanash” in life. And most importantly to God’s love and grace that is so underserved yet freely given.

Looking back at how this year went by, I am grateful to the life courses that I learned – forgiveness, asking for help, discovering new things, unlearning, patience and hope, listening to God and most importantly trying again. It was far from what I have imagined when this year has started but nonetheless I am grateful to all the blessings I received, big, small and everything that is in between. As I would always say, there is magic in new beginnings. As a new year would start my heart and mind is filled with hope knowing that the coming year will be filled with new adventures, answered prayers, favors, new opportunities and who knows I might finally find my one true love J

Have a blessed 2017!!

Comments